BSRIA supports the creation of the Industry Response Group in the response to the Grenfell Tower fire
BSRIA supports the forming of the Industry Response Group (IRG) in the wake of Grenfell Tower disaster. The IRG will be made up of both government and the construction industry with the intent of ensuring that the sector can meet the challenges emergent following the tragic event at Grenfell Tower.
In addition to Government, the IRG consists of the Construction Industry Council (CIC), Build UK and Construction Products Association (CPA). The group working with industry stakeholders will lead the industry response on the tragic events and work with the Independent Expert Advisory Panel (IEAP). It will ensure that industry can meet the challenges of implementing the recommendations of the IEAP enabling both public and private sector to deliver safer buildings.
Julia Evans, Chief Executive, BSRIA, said:
“BSRIA thinks this is a very positive step and is supportive of the creation of the IRG and we urge our members and the rest of industry to support the group. In the wake of these tragic events, industry needs to come together to ensure that such incidents are not repeated. As an industry we need to ensure that buildings are safe, sustainable and provide an environment to allow people that inhabit them to thrive”.
The group, which will be inclusive and cross-industry and led by the sector, will take forward work that will:
- provide essential advice on possible solutions for use in particular types of buildings to ensure homes, offices and public buildings are safe
- provide advice on better ways of building and the latest methods of construction, and ensure access to the necessary technical expertise in industry when required
- help mobilise the UK industry if any major programmes of construction work is needed, by acting as a focal point for government-industry communications
- advise government on the relevant sub-sectors of the construction industry, their expertise and capacity to deliver work at pace
The group will include representatives from three major industry bodies in the UK:
- Build UK – a representative organisation for the construction industry
- Construction Industry Council – the representative forum for the professional bodies, research organisations and specialist business associations for professional services providers in the construction industry
- Construction Products Association – the UK’s manufacturers